Ellington’s Birth…


Ellington Grey Russom.

Birthday March 3rd 2011.


Monday February 28th I had my 35 week appointment.

my doctor checked me per my request because I had been having lots and lots of contractions.

I was 1 cm dilated and my cervix was very thin.

He said he thought it would be in the next few weeks.

I contracted all day Monday (chocked it up to my apt) and all day Tuesday and all day Wednesday.

Wednesday night Nolan & Lennon and I took a little drive to Murfreesboro (about an hour away) to pick up a computer, and then back home.

We got home about 9 O’clock and I tucked sweet little Lennon into bed & informed Nolan HOW UNCOMFORTABLE I was…whew.

I went upstairs took a shower and laid down in our bed…

after about 30 minutes I was so crazy miserable…

Nolan was working downstairs and I told him that I thought we needed to go into the hospital…

something was going on.

He ran to my parents house to pick up my sister to stay with Lennon & I hesitantly packed a very quick very small bag.

Nothing for the baby…

just a tooth brush and some makeup and jammies.

the drive to the hospital was ok…I was beginning to be in pain.

We got the Baptist and got checked in.

They put us in a room and got me all hooked up. My contractions were 1.5 – 2 minutes apart.

They checked me and I was still 1 cm dilated and now I was about 50% effaced.

To be honest I did not think I was in labor…I don’t know what made me go in…I mean minus the painful regular contractions…

but I really didnt think I was in labor for real.

I don’t think the nurse did either & Nolan really didn’t think i was.

The nurse told me that they could keep me for 2 hours,but if I hadn’t made any progress they were going to have to send me home.

Over the next 2 hours I experienced the WORST pain I have ever felt in my life.

Mind you i have had a baby before and I didn’t get my epi until 6 cm with him…

So I do know what pain is…however nothing could have prepared me for the pain of delivering Ellington.

I was on my hands and knees shaking and crying waiting for the nurse to come back in and check me…

finally she did and I was 5 cm dilated and 80% effaced.


this is where I burst into tears.

This is where it hit me…

the day that I just spent with my eldest son was my last day with him as an only child.

this is where it hit me that the piles and piled of baby clothes piled in our room were going to have to be sorted with a newborn lying next to me.

Where it hit me I would be bringing our newest baby home to a DIRTY house…

that I would need to stop at target to pick up diapers on our way home from the hospital.

where it all came crashing down that our son was coming & soon.

Where I started to think about the fact that he was 5 weeks early.

Where I let myself wander over to the possibility that he would need to be in the NICU.

Where I began to fervently pray that our sweet little boy could breathe on his own.

That moment scared me to death.

I got hooked up in my own room got my IV…and decided I couldnt do this pain any more and I needed an epi.

once I got my epidural I was able to rest a little…

my contractions slowed to about 5 minutes apart…

this was good cause my doctor wasnt on call for another couple of hours.

around 7 the next morning they came in and told me soon they would be giving me some pitocin to kick start my contractions again.

Once they did it was almost instant.

I went from 6-10 instantly.

My doctor came in and said he thought we had about 15-20 more minutes and we would start to push.

As he was walking out…I told him he needed to come back that I had to push that he was coming…

3 rounds of pushing and 5 minutes later sweet little Ellington Grey was born.

The NICU team was in our room becuase he was a preemie and they took him over to be assessed,

I was able to hold him for about 30 seconds and they told me that he was having trouble breathing and he needed to go to the NICU.

my stomach sank.

the next 3 days were spent in a hospital room without our little guy.

the days were spent with my heart being totally torn in two.

Wanting to stay up all night by Ellington’s side and wanting to snuggle with my oldest son so terribly bad.

Ellington needed what is called surfactant to coat his lungs…they gave him artificial surfactant and was able to come off the breathing tubes a few days later.

He was in the NICU a total of 6 days…the day we brought him home was the best day ever.

I had what was called a partial placenta abruption.

my placenta tore away from my uterus which caused me to begin to bleed internally and develop clots behind my placenta.

This is what sent me into labor a month before I was supposed to go into labor & why Ellington’s birth was so painful.

It wasn’t how I ever pictured his birth…

and seeing him hooked up to all the machines was the last way I wanted to see my baby for virtually the first time

but we are home.

The Lord healed him quickly and it is amazing to have all of my boys under one roof.

That is our Sweet little Ellington Grey’s story of how he came into the world :)

2 Responses to “Ellington’s Birth…”

  1. Rebecca Says:

    Oh my gosh. I dont even have words, except Praise God! He is so good. His hand was truly on you and your sweet Ellington. That must have been so scary, but thank goodness God is in control. How beautiful your son is! He is just perfect. HUGE congratulations to you! You have been in my prayers so much…

  2. Mandy Says:

    Okay.. This made me cry. SO happy you and Ellington are safe and healthy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: